We’ll start of second semester with the topic of chemical bonding. The PowerPoint presentation and Notes for the week are:
- Class Presentation
- Guided Notes Week 1 – Bonding Ionic and Covalent Bonding
- Honors Chemistry Syllabus
There are a number of useful videos …
- Key idea and practice with Ionic and Covalent bonds.
- Finding the number of valence electrons for an element.
- How to draw Lewis Structures for molecules.
- VSEPR Theory and Shapes of Molecules.
- Lewis Structures Video Practice
For the week …
W: W-Up, Notes & Practice: Chemical Bonding
HW: Finish Safety Test, Read Pages 187-188
R: W-Up, Notes, Activity: Electron Config and Dot
Structures, and Ions
HW: Finish Activity Sheet
F: W-Up, Activity: Three Types of Bonds, Quiz
Important Note: Chemical bonding is all about the valence (outer shell/energy level) electrons. These are the electrons that are on the surface of the atom (the electron cloud) and available for chemical reactions.
Key Content in Textbook
Chapter 7, pages 186-201 (ionic and metallic bonds)
Chapter 8, pages 212-237 (molecular bonds)
Come see me in the mornings between 6:40 a.m. and 7:10 a.m. or at lunch for help.